Tuesday, December 31, 2013

It Can't Be December 31!

It feels more like a rainy April, with the summer stretching before me, free and open and relaxed.  Instead, my blog-list is reflecting on the past year, and I'm stumped.

How can 2013 be gone??? Impossible. I just had a fabulous holiday in Egypt. Yeah, fall term was bad, but hey, spring term is going okay. And - best of all - I have a full summer ahead with nothing at all to do. I'm staying home. Relaxing.

Except, somehow, the rest of the year went by and I lost track. Don't get me wrong - I've been through a lot, done a bunch of good work, taught some good classes, had a boatload of problems and hassles and it is a wonder that I still have hair, for all the hair-tugging moments. Still. New Year's? C'est pas possible.

The next year is very busy. Something nearly every month, classes, meetings, obligations, fun stuff. With dogs, cats and birds. Glass. Painting. Friends, frenemies, colleagues, adversaries. Life, y'know. Some cool stuff on the horizon: Africa, the Galapagos, research, two totally new classes, far too many independent studies. Some not so cool stuff: figuring out what to do about Ms.M, the PAPITAs, hiring a new faculty member (to be or not to be MsM? That is the Big Question). 2014 will be a year with various and interesting challenges. And, no doubt, far too many instances of dealing with the Bat$hit crazies.

Two big things coming up: I have a paper that hasn't been started, to present the last week of March. I need to start the research, think about how to make it fit. Apparently, I'm the only one who worries about fitting in with the rest of the papers on the panel. And then there's the whole Africa thing - three intensive weeks of meetings, lectures, workshops. And... we're supposed to direct it, but can't get any info on how to frame it.

Then there are the two new classes I'm teaching this term. Those need some attention. The four (yeah, I know) independent studies. Gah.

We ended the year with Cirque de Soleil's Kooza. 'Twas fabulous. Amazing. Spectacular. And while the crazies of Paris and the 'burbs gather on the Champs Elysees, we are warm and snug, champagne in hand and carb loaded. Happy New Year, y'all!






1 comment:

Tech Mom said...

"Bonne nouvelle annee" From your friends in Michigan. Cheers to a happy, healthy and peace-filled 2014!